Friday 4 November 2011

Vintage hits and misses

I don't think think there is anything more annoying than when you ask someone where an item of clothing is from and the response is; "It's vintage." The smugness of it. However, when the shoe is on the other foot, it is admittedly the best the feeling ever. With an air of "I am better than you and can find a diamond in a shower of shit."

However with many people selling vintage-style things, the diamonds are a little harder to find.  So it got me thinking about my vintage collection as in my experience there's a fair amount of hit and misses. My latest miss was an oversized mohair cardigan with ombre shading. It was nice and on the right person it would definitely be a hit but on me it was just too try hard. I'll leave it to the Brick Lane brigade. Now for the hits. A few years ago i got an amazing cropped 3/4 sleeve leather jacket from a vintage shop called Wild Clothing in my home town. It was when the All Saints cropped leather first came out for £200, i picked this up for £25. Smug was not the word.

Although i recently ripped the arm clean off so it is currently residing with my local tailor who's restoring it for me. However my all time favourite vintage piece ever is a nude/ peach hued sequined top (top pic) i bought from amazing ebay seller americanarchive. I urge you to check them out. Although their prices can get quite high, their styling is out of this world. Come join us smug folk...x Talia

No comments:

Post a Comment